ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT HERBS TO EVER ADD TO YOUR PET’S DIET!
Updated: Aug 5
In a first-of-its-kind study, researchers looked for the presence of toxic chemicals in umbilical cord blood of newborn babies. Of the more than 400 chemicals tested for, 287 were detected in umbilical cord blood. Of these, 180 cause cancer in humans or animals, 217 are toxic to the brain or nervous system, and 208 cause birth defects or abnormal development in animals. - Environmental Working Group Hello toxic planet and the skyrocketing occurrences of cancer in our pets (and in ourselves)! Let me introduce you to one of my top 5 most important herbs that needs to be in your pet’s life, if it isn’t already!
Milk thistle! This herb has been used for over 2,000 years to help fix a zillion different problems! Recently, scientists from the Radiological Physics and Advisory Division in India found in their study on milk thistle that silibinin, found in milk thistle, programmed cell death in breast cancer. “Early laboratory studies show that silymarin and other active substances in milk thistle may have anticancer effects. These substances appear to stop cancer cells from dividing and reproducing, shorten their lifespan, and reduce blood supply to tumors.” - University of Maryland Medical Center Personally though, I love it for its allergy-fighting properties! If your poor pet is constantly itching and scratching, milk thistle can help! According to The Truth Cause of Allergies – It’s In The Liver: “The liver has to process toxins and when it can’t do its job it stores them. If it stores them it also produces additional histamines to protect itself. If an allergen is present the brain sends a message: ‘Send out a few histamines! I think there’s an invader!!’ and the liver proceeds it releases too many, and you have the allergic response. Cleanse the liver and maybe [...] you’ll become allergy/asthma free.” Dosages: Use ¼ of a teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight. Detoxification is such an important process, not only for us humans, but also for our pets. We can be feeding our furry loved ones the best foods in the world but pores clogged with toxins will not allow essential nutrients to pass, causing a weakened immune system. A pet’s weakened immune system equals a multitude of problems! Milk thistle is the boss of detoxifiers! Rodney Habib Pet Health Media